POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Boring movies : Re: Hugo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hugo
From: clipka
Date: 10 Mar 2012 06:51:40
Message: <4f5b404c@news.povray.org>
Am 10.03.2012 11:59, schrieb Warp:

>    Btw, for some reason I'm almost completely unable to perceive things
> coming "out of the screen" in these films (I have seen three in total now).
> Many people say that things look like they literally come out of the screen
> and you could almost touch them, but for some reason it just doesn't work
> for me. I can see anything that's deeper than the screen just fine, but
> if anything is supposed to be closer, then it somehow just doesn't work.
> (Maybe if it's just a bit closer than the actual screen, it looks like it,
> but the closer it's supposed to be, the less it works for me.)
>
>    If I concentrate really hard on focusing my eyes on the screen and don't
> pay attention to whatever might be flying closeby, it kind of works
> sometimes. (For example I tried this at the beginning of the film with
> the flying snowflakes, and I could sort of make it work at moments.)
>
>    I wonder if this is a common phenomenon.

I had that problem with the snowflakes, too. It's no surprise actually:
When viewing something nearby, there is a strong correlation between the
alignment of your eyes and the proper lens focus. With 3D movies the
proper lens focus is always at the screen distance, no matter how close
the objects are supposed to appear. So unless you concentrate, your
brain will consider that sensory input as implausible, and try its best
to ignore it.

IIRC this effect is limited to distances up to roughly 5m; at that
distance, lens focus comes close to the "infinity" setting.