POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : today's fortune : Re: today's fortune Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: today's fortune
From: Warp
Date: 6 Mar 2012 15:28:43
Message: <4f56737b@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> if you happen to get hooked to interactive fiction, I'll at least leave
> a few pointers besides zarfhome:

  Back in the 80's when I had a ZX Spectrum 128 I played a lot of text
adventures. You don't get anything like that anymore.

  The key difference between text adventures of the 80's and modern
"interactive fiction" is that the former had graphics. Typically the
screen was divided into two: The upper half had a picture of the current
room, and the lower half had the textual description and command prompt.
Each room had usually a unique picture (although sprites / vector graphics
were often reused in several rooms, of course; we are talking about 8-bit
systems here).

  In most games the picture itself gave you clues about what to do next.
For example, there might have been a tree with an apple. This apple might
not have been described in the text at all, but you could see it in the
picture so you could interact with it. Usually if you eg. took the apple,
it would disappear from the picture (and things like doors would open,
and so on).

  I miss those types of graphical text adventures. Nobody makes those
anymore. All you get is pure text and that's it. It's not at all the
same thing.

--
                                                          - Warp