POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XML
From: clipka
Date: 5 Mar 2012 13:51:17
Message: <4f550b25$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.03.2012 09:54, schrieb Invisible:
>>> That tells an XML processor what the character encoding is. It does not
>>> tell your text editor what the encoding is.
>>
>> How about rephrasing this: "It does not /necessarily/ tell your text
>> editor what the encoding is."
>>
>> What part of "get a decent text editor" didn't you understand? :-P
>
> Can you name one single text editor which can actually change character
> encoding based on a mere XML encoding specification?

The integrated text editors of both MS Visual Studio 2010 and
BeyondCompare 3.0 definitely do it (and yes, I'm talking about plain
"ASCII" text editors, not dedicated XML editor components).

As for stand-alone text editors, I've not used any for years, but I
wouldn't be surprised if current versions of e.g. UltraEdit would be
doing this as well (it does have some "auto-detect UTF-8 encoding"
option after all, though I can't find any details about the magic used
in there).