POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:15:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XML
From: clipka
Date: 4 Mar 2012 21:05:40
Message: <4f541f74$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.03.2012 18:07, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 04/03/2012 00:08, Darren New wrote:
>> On 3/3/2012 14:04, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> It's not possible to type exotic characters.
>>
>> Sure it is. I just turned on chinese for my wife. Use alt-shift to
>> toggle between languages. :-)
>
> That doesn't make the characters available on your keyboard though. It's
> not like you can just press a button and have a different set of
> characters printed on your physical keyboard.

That /may/ depend on your keyboard...

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/

> In most situations, that just means that you flat-out /can't/ use
> unusual characters. HTML, and now XHTML, are fairly unusual in that they
> let you type in the character's name if you can't easily type the
> character itself. Unfortunately, rather than make this useful feature
> available to all XML applications, they arbitrarily chose to make it
> available to only one.

Did anyone already mention that they did /not/ "arbitrarily" choose "to
make it available to only one", but rather /deliberately/ chose to make
it availabe to /this/ one (despite the general decision to keep the XML
set of character entities simple), because "we'll never get people to
convert from HTML if they can't do this in XHTML"?

>>> ...aaaand then watch it break into a thousand pieces because raw text
>>> files
>>> have no way of specifying what actual character encoding is being
>>> used. :-P
>>
>> That's why the first line of your XML document includes the character
>> set in which the rest of the document is written. *right there* is the
>> reason you have to put <?xml ...> at the start, along with the funky
>> code number for your character set.
>
> That tells an XML processor what the character encoding is. It does not
> tell your text editor what the encoding is.

How about rephrasing this: "It does not /necessarily/ tell your text
editor what the encoding is."

What part of "get a decent text editor" didn't you understand? :-P

> The point is, to make a DTD for a combination of trees, you have to
> /copy/ the DTDs for each subtree - and hope that you don't do it wrong.
> Talk above violating the DRY printiple...

... which is why there is XML Schema. And XML namespaces.