POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XML
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Mar 2012 14:50:20
Message: <4f53c77c$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/4/2012 9:07, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> That doesn't make the characters available on your keyboard though. It's not
> like you can just press a button and have a different set of characters
> printed on your physical keyboard.

Actually, you can, yes. http://www.lcd-keys.com/english/history.htm

:-)

> It's not the editor that makes them hard to type. It's the fact that
> computer keyboards only have a few hundred keys, not several billion keys.

And yet, oddly enough, billions of chinese people seem to get along OK.

It's still the case that you're addressing the wrong technology. The file
itself has no trouble storing the characters, yet you want the file storage
technology to compensate for your computer's inability to put the characters
into the file conveniently.

Fix your input mechanism, and store the characters. Don't fix every program
that reads characters to deal with names. Fix your *editor* to deal with
names. Make it so when you type &acut; into your editor, it replaces it with
the right unicode character. Problem solved.

> type in the character's name if you can't easily type the character itself.

Why doesn't your editor do this?

> Unfortunately, rather than make this useful feature available to all XML
> applications, they arbitrarily chose to make it available to only one.

Because different XML applications need different character entities.

> That tells an XML processor what the character encoding is. It does not tell
> your text editor what the encoding is.

So always use UTF-8 or something. Or write your editor to recognize an XML
header and parse it.

> The point is, to make a DTD for a combination of trees, you have to /copy/
> the DTDs for each subtree - and hope that you don't do it wrong. Talk above
> violating the DRY printiple...

But to *use* a DTD for a combination of trees, you have to implement an
entire program to do so. So the actual concatenation of two files is rather
simple, comparatively speaking.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)