POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XML
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Mar 2012 19:08:03
Message: <4f52b263$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/3/2012 14:04, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> It's not possible to type exotic characters.

Sure it is. I just turned on chinese for my wife. Use alt-shift to toggle
between languages. :-)

The problem is that your *editor* doesn't make it simple to type exotic
characters, yes? Why do you complain that your XML processor doesn't
understand exotic characters when its your editor that makes them difficult
to type?

> ...aaaand then watch it break into a thousand pieces because raw text files
> have no way of specifying what actual character encoding is being used. :-P

That's why the first line of your XML document includes the character set in
which the rest of the document is written. *right there* is the reason you
have to put <?xml ...> at the start, along with the funky code number for
your character set.

> The problem is, the only real documentation on how to write DTDs is the
> antiquated SGML reference documentation, which is hardly easy going. From
> what I've seen from other written DTDs, it's just damned hard, that's all.

It's actually pretty straightforward. Google "dtd tutorial".

> It would be frighteningly easy to come up with
> an XHTML+MathML DTD where the XHTML part doesn't actually match the
> stand-alone XHTML DTD, for example.

Sure. And it would be frighteningly easy to come up with a generic sorting
algorithm that works incorrectly on certain types. Don't do that.

The point is that a DTD is a type specification. It also originally
specified what closing tags could be left out by specifying what could be
nested inside what. (You don't have to close a paragraph in a book if the
next tag opens a new chapter, because chapters don't nest and paragraphs
can't contain chapters.)

So don't use a DTD. Use an XSL or whatever they call it these days.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)