POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of failure : Re: Another day of failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of failure
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Mar 2012 14:42:40
Message: <4f5122b0$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:10:01 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> I used to speed swim - never had a problem with inexpensive goggles
>> leaking - but the problem that I did tend to have was that they fogged
>> up.  Even the anti-fogging ones would give me trouble.
>
>   There's a lesser-known trick to help that: Before starting to swim,
> spit on the inside of the goggles (and rub the spit on the inner
> surface). It's not as gross as it sounds, and it helps surprisingly
> well. In my experience you might still get a slight amount of fogging,
> but considerably less.
>
>   (I'm assuming human spit creates a protective "layer" that stops
> fogging.)

ISTR having tried that with limited success - but  it does make sense.

Sadly, I've not been in shape to swim for some time - it's hard to pick
up something you were once good at and have to start over from the
beginning - ie, learning to breathe again with the water pressure on your
chest - I have a very hard time doing that these days, and I know it just
takes time to get acclimated to it.  I tried getting back into it about a
year ago, but when you've done speed swimming, distance swimming, and
springboard diving (never anything crazy there, and never diving off the
higher boards), it's hard to just get in the water and bob up and down,
even though it's absolutely necessary.

Just like (for me) playing the violin - I'd love to get back into it, but
I have no callouses on my fingers, and I don't have the patience to build
them up again.

Jim