POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trouble with large directory in Linux : Re: Trouble with large directory in Linux Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with large directory in Linux
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 28 Feb 2012 22:30:38
Message: <4f4d9bde@news.povray.org>
On 2/28/2012 6:53 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 2/28/2012 12:04, Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> I saw that too, and tried some pretty similar things.
>
> For the future, just try "find <dir>" and see what you get. That should
> print all the file names to the screen without having to actually load
> them into memory. (The shell and ls both try to sort the list of files
> before printing/using them, so that's part of your problem.)

I did try exactly this actually, it printed "." and nothing else before
it used up 8GB of ram, 15.5GB of swap, and ground to a halt.  It worked
on the 64GB ram computer though, which is basically how I managed to
delete the files.  If I did "find ." in the superdirectory by the way,
it successfully printed files as normal until it got the the problematic
subdirectory, at which point it ground to a halt just as before.