POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trouble with large directory in Linux : Re: Trouble with large directory in Linux Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with large directory in Linux
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 28 Feb 2012 15:04:29
Message: <4f4d334d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/28/2012 11:47 AM, Warp wrote:
>    A webpage suggests this:
>
> find<dir>  -exec rm {} \;
>
>    (I think that the idea is that this executes the 'rm' command individually
> on each file as it traverses the directory, rather than first gathering all
> the file names into RAM and then trying to do something to them.)

I saw that too, and tried some pretty similar things.  For whatever
reason I wasn't able to get find to do anything successful, and all
attempts met the same fate as other approaches.  Fortunately I
remembered that I had access to a machine with enough ram to actually
run find, and something like your suggestion did work.  I appreciate you
taking the time to look for an answer though.