POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's quest : Re: Today's quest Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's quest
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Feb 2012 05:02:05
Message: <4f4ca61d@news.povray.org>
On 2/27/2012 3:01 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:15:13 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> So, uh, anyway... Can I literally just do a block-level copy from the
>> ISO image to the flash drive? Or do I have to /do/ stuff to it first to
>> make it work?
>
> You have to use isohybrid to make it work.  Try a google search as that
> should tell you what it does and how to use it.
>
> Jim
Or, just a search on, "make usb flash drive bootable". Pages and pages
of ways to do it, most of them Linux based, but some others.

Looking over one of those pages, you are actually doing:

1. Format
2. Partition
3. Copy over the needed files (or install to it, I supposed).
4. Make it bootable (presumably the same way you do an HDD, but marking
the partition as "live".

This makes it looks like a normal HDD to the system, as long as the
system recognizes USB as a boot option.