POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of failure : Re: Another day of failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another day of failure
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Feb 2012 04:43:15
Message: <4f4ca1b3$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/27/2012 8:17 AM, Shay wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:11:18 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Also. A thing about BMI.
>
> Absolutely! Andrew should forget about his BMI and worry about his BMR.
> Walking is good exercise. So are the bike riding, running, weight
> lifting, hammer swinging, ladder climbing, kettle bell work, and
> calisthenics that I do. But I wouldn't recommend any of these to Andrew
> because none are the shortest path to what he wants.
>
>   -Shay
Interesting note. A study done a while back showed that merely knowing
how much you burned, somehow, may result in increased loss. The study
was conducted with two groups working basically identical jobs, under
basically identical conditions, where the only apparent difference was
that one group had a chart to consult, telling them how much they
burned, for every single thing they did during the day, while the other
didn't.

Still.. I seem to remember that they was someone looking into trying
to.. retrain their body for "fast" action, like sprinting. One major
improvement in BMR would literally be to trigger such a change, since if
you could get your muscles to re-organize for speed, it would drop their
efficiency 10%+, and thus burn that much more energy, during the same
duration of exercise. Not sure if this is possible though.
Unfortunately, pretty much *all* types of exercise used to drop weight
does the exact opposite, triggering an "increase" in efficiency, and
making it harder to lose/keep off the weight.