POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's quest : Re: Today's quest Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's quest
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Feb 2012 15:15:13
Message: <4f4be451$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/02/2012 16:53, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:35:22 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>
>> I wonder... would copying the CD image to a USB drive actually work?
>
> Yep.  Use isohybrid to get it working.
>
> I do this quite regularly with openSUSE ISO images in order to boot from
> a USB flash drive instead.  Installs are *much* quicker.

The seek time on a CD drive /is/ rather poor. I find that when I install
stuff onto a VM, using an ISO image on a networked file server, it runs
/way/ faster than if I really did put the physical CD into the local
machine's drive and run it without any VM overhead.

So, uh, anyway... Can I literally just do a block-level copy from the
ISO image to the flash drive? Or do I have to /do/ stuff to it first to
make it work?

Also, is there a quick way to test whether a particular PC even
/supports/ booting from flash? Like I say, I've never seen it actually
work IRL. Is there some easily available image I can test with?