POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two theories about Portal : Re: Two theories about Portal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two theories about Portal
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Feb 2012 19:23:42
Message: <4f4acd0e@news.povray.org>
On 2/26/2012 15:20, clipka wrote:
> The movement due to gravity may instead be a result of quantum fluctuations
> in the position of the object, which favor positions with lower potential
> energy.

That's kind of a non-answer, tho, given that the potential energy is indeed
mass.

> Actually that's the one weak point of all the portal stuff: Rather than
> allowing objects to fall through without a change in speed, a real working
> portal technology would have to result in a repelling force at the lower
> portal itself, proportional to the difference in potential energy.

Unless you're assuming the power is not coming from the gun itself. I would
think anything powered by a black hole could probably generate as much power
as it needs to via hawking radiation. Certainly as much power as we've seen
it use.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)