POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Device drivers : Re: Device drivers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Device drivers
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Feb 2012 22:15:23
Message: <4f49a3cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/25/2012 3:43 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> MS and all their 3rd party cronies (and
>>> yes, slapping "Designed for XP/Vista/Windows 7" on the box makes you a
>>> crony), quite often won't even acknowledge that some problem even exist,
>>> or that your could possibly be having one, never mind fix it.
>>
>> Whereas if you submit a bug to an open source project (assuming there is
>> a bug tracker or even a way to /contact/ the developers), they will
>> either mark it as WONTFIX or reply with "patches welcome".
>>
>> This /also/ does not fix the problem.
>
> Exhibit A: Firefox (in fact, the Gecko renderer in the old Mozilla Suite
> before Firefox even had that name) has an 11 year old bug about
> character escaping not working in XML files. The developers first
> claimed that this isn't a bug, it's what the W3C spec requires. Then
> they just flatly said that they wouldn't fix it. The bug 29 duplicate
> tickets, and the main ticket has 129 comments, most of them being "OMG,
> TEN YEARS and you haven't fixed this yet? WTF? I'm using Opera now!!"
>
> Yeah, open source development totally works. :-P
Snort.. Well.. Even in opensource, sometimes the bugs either end up "low
priority", or they become so ensconced in how the thing works that
fixing them actually breaks the product. Not an excuse, but its a better
one than, "We refuse to even believe that our users notice how shitty
the product is, so here are 8,000 non-bugs we won't be fixing." lol