POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XML Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XML
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Feb 2012 04:10:09
Message: <4f4753f1$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/02/2012 07:06 PM, Warp wrote:

>    It's verbose, but it has one advantage over most other formats: It's
> standardized and pretty well supported.

Well, it was that or JSON.

In my case, XML has XSLT. JSON does not possess anything comparable.
What that means is that just by outputting my data as XML, I can easily
transform it into something usable later. And I don't have to implement
the transformation engine myself - just the actual transformation rules.
(Which is still pretty non-trivial, mind you.)

(The other possibility is the unspeakably awful YAML...)

Some people /do/ use XML in some pretty inappropriate ways. (E.g., "if
we store all our data as XML, we won't have to ask the DB admin to
change the DB schema for us, and we can just run all the queries on the
client-side instead".) Just because people do stupid things with XML,
does not mean that XML is stupid.

That said, it /does/ seem overly complicated for the simple problem it's
supposed to solve...