POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Device drivers : Re: Device drivers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Device drivers
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 23 Feb 2012 18:56:29
Message: <4f46d22d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/23/2012 2:10 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 22/02/2012 11:17 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Snort. Got a similar problem. The "scanner" software for something Win7
>> detected shows two versions. One doesn't work, and the other crashes,
>> but *only* when using the companies own on-scanner button configuration
>> thing, which Windows couldn't auto-install. Using someone else's
>> application, and picking the correctly installed "version" of the device
>> lets me copy direct to printer, but only at low resolutions. I haven't
>> bothered to even try to fix the problem... Bloody stupid OS.
>
> If a 3rd party driver won't install, I'm not so sure that's a problem
> with the OS.
Well, in this case, it sort of is the OS. Its "installing" a driver, but
not the software, and doing it wrong, when "automatically" doing so.
Now, I agree, to a point, in that "most" drivers, like for video, for
example, you install over the prior one, and since its not a new device,
it simply replaces the old one, and fixes what ever is wrong. And, that
*is* a problem with 3rd party, when it doesn't work.

In this case, its sort of a combination of problems. The "default"
driver may/may not have been replaced, the system might have
"redetected" it as new, when the correct one was added, or, who the hell
knows. But, the original cause was Windows installing something that
didn't work, and the update failing to fix the problem.

You get that *way* too often in Windows imho. lol