POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XSLT Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XSLT
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 23 Feb 2012 06:53:15
Message: <4f4628ab$1@news.povray.org>
Le 23/02/2012 11:57, Invisible a écrit :
> It seems as soon as you use any encoding other than the Windows default
> (whatever the hell that is), things get messy, rapidly.

On Windows, yes. Even two Windows can be messy out of their natural
country (around Redmond I believe). (e.g. at work we have some English
windows and some french ones... they default to a different code page
(that's a thing back from DOS, a time where printers had micro-switchs
to provide different mapping not only to the 127-255 range but also
inside the 33-126 range... none of which usually maps exactly to the
local code page either)

Windows choose the UTF-16 way at a time (hence the wchar in API)... but
that's double the file's size of ascii... and yet, the integration is
far from done (many code still expect char of 8 bits..)

Maybe you can have some forked resources to tag the file as being a
given encoding (forked resources for a file are its filename followed by
colon and another text... it's usually invisible and yet remain
associated with the file (yet another kludge from the West of america...
the text names the resource, the value is in the associated "file"))
Maybe you can search the web about that ?
(and find a program which allow you to handle forked resources...)
As long as the file is in a NTFS filesystem, it's safe.