POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Moving Shadows and Reflections : Re: Moving Shadows and Reflections Server Time
5 May 2024 01:52:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moving Shadows and Reflections
From: clipka
Date: 22 Feb 2012 18:45:13
Message: <4f457e09$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.01.2012 16:43, schrieb Jaime Vives Piqueres:
> On 26/01/12 18:57, handos wrote:
>> What you'd notice is that the shadows and reflections are moving.
>
> Well, what you are noticing is not really any shadow or reflection
> movement... these are radiosity artifacts. What you call "shadows" are
> really directly visible splotches, which are also visible on the
> reflections. As these splotches are different for each frame, you see
> them as "moving".
>
> Apart from the suggestions from Alain on a similar post from August, I
> can't think on anything else. My experience with animation is almost
> zero, so I never had to deal with this problem, but I'm guessing it has
> no easy solution, or at least not a fast one as you want... ;)

If you are using a static scene, radiosity artifacts should be
comparatively easy to get "static" by saving radiosity data and re-using
it from frame to frame. Beneficial side effect is a good deal of speedup
for the rendering, as radiosity has to be sampled only for areas that
hadn't been visible to the camera in previous frames.

You might also want to do a first low-fps low-resolution pass to gather
radiosity data, and then use that in the high-resolution render proper.