POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Device drivers : Re: Device drivers Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Device drivers
From: clipka
Date: 22 Feb 2012 14:38:12
Message: <4f454424$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.02.2012 10:18, schrieb Invisible:

> If you buy some cheapo laptop USB soundcard, you could maybe understand
> the no-name manufacturers not bothering to provide modern drivers. But
> we're talking about a supposedly "pro audio" device from a big-name
> brand. You would think that for the exorbitant price I paid, it would
> damn well work. But, apparently, you would be wrong...

Yes. It's pro equipment, i.e. something for people who know well enough
to not change a running production system.

For such customers, upgrading often means buying a brand new system,
comprised of new computer hardware, new audio hardware, new OS, and new
production software, in a combo that is reputed to work, from some
people who give them a guarantee that the combo will work.

Such customers may also do partial upgrades, but in that case they'll
also by that upgrade from - and have it installed by - people who give
them a guarantee for the fitness of the resulting combo.

As a result, there is obviously less pressre on pro-equipment
manufacturers to make their equipment more-or-less compatible with each
and every OS version, hard- and software imaginable; a beneficial side
effect is that they can concentrate on making it fully compatible and
well-tested with a selection of reference systems.