POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The trouble with XSLT : Re: The trouble with XSLT Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The trouble with XSLT
From: clipka
Date: 21 Feb 2012 21:55:35
Message: <4f445927$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.02.2012 11:09, schrieb Invisible:

>> The spec concludes that "Since disabling output escaping may not work
>> with all XSLT processors and can result in XML that is not well-formed,
>> it should be used only when there is no alternative."
>
> Ah. So in fact, the W3C specification is broken, since /clearly/ a
> system should not be specified to suddenly produce completely incorrect
> output if an optional feature is not implemented.

That's why they warn about this possible difference, so that the user
can decide whether to (a) make sure that the XSLT file is only used with
an XSLT processor that supports the feature, or (b) make sure that the
output is not *completely* incorrect if the feature is unavailable.

That's not broken spec, that's just perfectly normal optional features.

> Meanwhile, it looks like my only options are either to start memorising
> Unicode code points by ID, or to save my XSL file as UTF-8 and watch the
> encoding get screwed up every time I touch the file...

Ah, so your /real/ problem is a crappy text editor.

> (Let's not even get into the question of why the standard character
> names /only/ work in HTML, and not all SGML file types...)

Because they're a HTML-specific invention?