POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Americans really are sue-happy... : Re: Americans really are sue-happy... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Americans really are sue-happy...
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Feb 2012 17:02:16
Message: <4f42c2e8$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/20/2012 11:51, andrel wrote:
> Technically he/she may decide that it is negligence, in real life it wasn't.

Running in front of a train going fast enough to pulp you and fling body
parts all over the station? *I* would consider that a pretty negligent act.

> Here in the Netherlands it is not uncommon that the railway company or any
> other large company decides to pay even if they can technically not be
> blamed. Partly out of decency, partly because not doing so is bad publicity
> and conversely this is cheap and good publicity.

That happens here too.

> Probably it is indicative of the moral state of the USA that Amtrak did not
> do the decent thing and can get away with it. ;)

It can also be a matter of whether Amtrak wants to set the precedent that if
you run in front of a train, it's Amtrak's fault for not stopping. I can see
Amtrak fighting the lawsuit claiming it's their fault even *if* they still
pay the medical bills out of decency.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)