POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Americans really are sue-happy... : Re: Americans really are sue-happy... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Americans really are sue-happy...
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Feb 2012 13:25:39
Message: <4f429023$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/20/2012 0:09, andrel wrote:
> In the Netherlands the heirs inherit everything a person owns including his
> debts.

That sounds like an awful system. I certainly don't want to be responsible
for the debts of whatever random person might have named me as an heir. I
think you're likely oversimplifying, tho.

> If otoh the system works in such a way that the medical and other costs must
> come from his personal belongings, you might argue that he does not need it
> anymore anyway.

It comes from his estate, which is his possessions left over after he's dead.

> Still this wasn't a case of suicide and in the eyes of a simple European not
> even a case of negligence,

Right. If you read, the court already decided it's a case of negilgence on
the part of the dead kid, and not on the part of amtrack.

> *) she might as well be hit by the remains of a deer crossing the line. Oh
> no, that wouldn't work as just bad luck. She could sue Amtrak for not
> preventing the deer from going on the track...

She tried that. And indeed, that's how the system works here. For unlikely
stuff like this, the business is supposed to have insurance.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)