POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Americans really are sue-happy... : Re: Americans really are sue-happy... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Americans really are sue-happy...
From: Warp
Date: 19 Feb 2012 17:07:03
Message: <4f417286@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Not only the medical bills but also the lawyer's. Still, it makes sense
> if you think of it in the USAsian way. Just be glad that you don't have
> to live there.
> God is lucky not to have a representative on earth or he would be sued
> for every accident that can not be blamed on any human being.

  Sometimes some people try the same here, but it seldom succeeds, and
even when it does, the payoff is usually very small. That's because here
there's basic public healthcare that takes care of any injuries at no cost,
and compensation for "emotional trauma" is usually of rational size, rather
than being the millions of dollars typical of the US.

  (In principle you could want to go to a private hospital instead, which
the government does not cover, and try to sue for your medical expenses,
but I don't think it would be very likely to succeed precisely because
the free alternative is there, and you deliberately chose not to use it,
so it's your fault if you get medical bills.)

--
                                                          - Warp