POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Americans really are sue-happy... : Re: Americans really are sue-happy... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:09:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Americans really are sue-happy...
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Feb 2012 15:46:54
Message: <4f415fbe@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 14:33:48 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On 2/18/2012 11:30, Warp wrote:
>> >    This crosses the line between stupid and outright sick in the
>> >    head:
>
>> Meh. She's suing the estate to get paid her medical expenses.  A bit
>> gory,
>> but remember we don't have government-paid medicine here.
>
>   I don't understand how that justifies it in any way.

Person commits suicide in a way that causes injury to another party.  The
other party is entitled to have their injuries paid by the estate (or
insurance company, depending on the circumstances) of the person who
committed suicide.

It's pretty straightforward.  It wasn't her fault she was injured, and
the medical expenses were presumably considerable - so why should she
have to pay for it out of pocket?

The person responsible for the injury is also responsible for the
expenses.

Jim