POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Two theories about Portal : Re: Two theories about Portal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two theories about Portal
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 16 Feb 2012 14:05:16
Message: <4f3d536c$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/02/2012 18:05, Warp wrote:
>    1) Consider this: Both Black Mesa and Aperture were developing
> teleportation technology. On one side, Black Mesa's teleportation
> was in its early infancy. The teleportation test device was an
> enormous several-stories-high thing that required enormous amounts
> of energy, special materials, and barely worked. In one of the tests
> it failed spectacularly, causing the resonance cascade. No actual
> applications of this prototype teleportation device have ever been
> shown.
>
>    On the other side Aperture's version of the teleportation was
> centuries ahead technologically. A small, light-weight portable
> teleportation device which is safe to use and has never been seen
> to fail, and which can create teleports over enormous distances
> (even as far as the Moon). The applications are humongous.

To be fair, Black Mesa managed to teleport over distances slightly
larger than just to the moon. (We have no idea where Xen actually is -
particularly, whether it exists in the same space as us. The notion of
"distance" may not be well-defined.)

>    Yet it's established in the Portal universe that the government
> chose Black Mesa over Aperture for developing their teleportation
> technology for military purposes. This seems inconceivable.

You haven't worked with large government bodies before, what you? ;-)

Then of course there's the self-evident fact that the people at Aperture
are stark, raving mad. Would /you/ want to do business with them?!

And finally, the Aura Borealis. You say Aperture teleportation has never
malfunctioned, but EP2 claims that this ship and part of the dry dock
vanished inexplicably. That's a pretty frigging big malfunction...