POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at realistic skin textures : Re: Attempt at realistic skin textures Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt at realistic skin textures
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 15 Feb 2012 04:00:50
Message: <4f3b7442$1@news.povray.org>
On 15-2-2012 2:17, Ive wrote:
> Am 13.02.2012 13:25, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> ...skin texture technique given to us by Ive a couple
>> of years ago (2008/2009) for Poser figures.
>
> Oops. I don't remember and was vaguely under the impression that this
> was one of the things I would like to do but never managed ;)
Oh yes you did, and this is the result coming from that, and thanks
again :-)

>> I am still not sure about whether the bump sizes should be positive or
>> negative. I find positive values looking better in general but that
>> might be a wrong approach.
>
> Not so wrong, as I have observed that some bump maps *do* look better
> with negative values.
That is indeed true.

>> What do you think? I need a bit of feedback on this.
>>
> I think the texture of the Apollo Maximus figure is the best you can
> achieve without using some kind of SSS.
Yes, so I believe too. SSS would of course be the next stage to go but
that was not the primary intention here.

> And for Alyson, well she looks quite oily - as to be expected - if you
> are after a wet look there is no other way as adding some real droplets,
> I think...
Yes, exactly I came to that same conclusion: added droplets would make
an excellent effect. Also, I have been musing about an image_pattern
that would vary the shininess of the skin, concentrating the wet areas
as it were in spots on the skin... I am not sure...

Thomas