POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PCs vs consoles : Re: PCs vs consoles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PCs vs consoles
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Feb 2012 09:24:04
Message: <4f3a6e84$1@news.povray.org>
>> data transfer performance in other critical areas (such as transferring
>> data from the main RAM to the GPU, which happens all the time).
>
> An excellent point I hadn't considered. Honestly, I haven't really
> thought about this stuff since the generations of machines where RAM is
> faster than CPUs. :-)

My graphics card has just under 1GB of on-board RAM. I would expect that
once all the textures and meshes and so forth have been uploaded over
the AGP bus (or PCI-X or whatever you're using today), the GPU probably
requires minimal bandwidth from main memory. Certainly not enough that
the piffling transfer rate of the disk drive would affect it in the
slightest.