POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is relevant to my interests : Re: This is relevant to my interests Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is relevant to my interests
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Feb 2012 11:09:47
Message: <4f3935cb@news.povray.org>
On 13/02/2012 03:40 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> Sanity check: Northern hemisphere, V-Day is in WINTER.
>
> Roses are not flowering naturally in winter.

Hmm, good point. There is currently *snow* on the ground outside.

> Your single rose is going to take a plane from southern hemisphere

Really? I thought that apart from South America, most of the southern
hemisphere was water.

> (or come from a dedicated greenhouse with a 6 month shift... nah!).

Yeah, that's what I figured. Or just, you know, further south than old
blighty.

> It will be coated in chemical for "optimal" conservation before taking
> its plane and have its very own cardboard-box.

Mmm, tasty. :-}

> (Did you know: the tomatoes you bought, whatever the period of the year
> at the grocery&  supermarket are already cut from 2 to 3 weeks before
> reaching the stand: they have been selected to last 4 weeks: they
> travelled a lot: from producers to national-market, to central buying
> supply chain... and to your shop)

I doubt that /all/ of the tomatoes are imported. On the other hand,
almost nothing is /made/ in this country any more, so...

> Sanity check 2: V-Day is about celebrating the (delusion of) love used
> by a Christian prisoner on the daughter of his keeper to escape the
> Roman jail. Ergo, it's celebrating the treason of duty, familial honour
> and respect of parents.

I have no idea what it's supposedly about.

But here's an interesting thought: In Western culture, it is customary
to cut off the reproductive organs of an organism of the phylum
Magnoliophyta and present it to your loved one, often as a courtship
gesture.

Think about that for a moment.

If you tried doing that with an /animal/, I suspect few people would be
flattered. ;-)