POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is relevant to my interests : Re: This is relevant to my interests Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is relevant to my interests
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 13 Feb 2012 10:40:46
Message: <4f392efe@news.povray.org>
Le 13/02/2012 10:23, Invisible a écrit :
> V-Day, of course, is the single most expensive day of the entire year on
> which to buy flowers. Just for giggles, I had a look at the Interflora
> website. I gasped at the price of £25 for a single red rose.

Sanity check: Northern hemisphere, V-Day is in WINTER.

Roses are not flowering naturally in winter.
Even flowers from tree waits a bit for mid-March in south of Europe.

Your single rose is going to take a plane from southern hemisphere (or
come from a dedicated greenhouse with a 6 month shift... nah!).

It will be coated in chemical for "optimal" conservation before taking
its plane and have its very own cardboard-box.

Volume in a plane are cost.

the bunch of roses @ £3 took a boat or share a box for the plane, after
an even deeper chemical bath too. They are not expected to last more
than a few days after purchase (yet, they have been cut at least a week
or two ago).

(Did you know: the tomatoes you bought, whatever the period of the year
at the grocery & supermarket are already cut from 2 to 3 weeks before
reaching the stand: they have been selected to last 4 weeks: they
travelled a lot: from producers to national-market, to central buying
supply chain... and to your shop)

(in fact, the business model is so strong that the flowers are not
expected to last past the 16 February)

Sanity check 2: V-Day is about celebrating the (delusion of) love used
by a Christian prisoner on the daughter of his keeper to escape the
Roman jail. Ergo, it's celebrating the treason of duty, familial honour
and respect of parents.