POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Test of RC4 Windows installer : Re: Test of RC4 Windows installer Server Time
1 Jun 2024 13:49:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Test of RC4 Windows installer
From: Chris Cason
Date: 9 Feb 2012 20:12:08
Message: <4f346ee8$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/02/2012 11:09, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
>> This is a combined 32 and 64-bit setup which is the first we have done
>> using NSIS (previously we used InstallShield).
>
> So you went down this route after all ;)

Yep, I just couldn't stand using IS anymore. I utterly loathe that
product :-/

> I think there should be an uninstall link (short-cut to uninstall
> exe) added to the start menu. Note the uninstaller doesn't have to

The old installer did do this, however I chose not to replicate that
as I have seen it recommended that installers do not create such
shortcuts. Can't recall where I read this other than it was a
sufficiently authoritative location that I chose to follow the
recommendation.

> BTW how are you removing the files? There is some dangerous sample
> code floating out there that recursively removes $INSTDIR in a way that
> would clear the users drive should he accidentally install to c:\.

I was fairly careful about the removal: the code does a recursive
remove of the specific named sub-directories of INSTDIR (bin, help
etc), and then does an rmdir (non-recursive so will fail if not empty)
of INSTDIR. Also, the installer code will not permit the user to
choose the root dir as a install target.

You're welcome to the installer source if you are familiar with NSIS
and want to try to improve it; it's my first NSIS script so there
would definitely be room for improvement.

> Also note there are some optional checkboxes that could be
> activated for the Finish Page, to determine whether desktop
> icons should be created, some readme or manual opened, the
> application automatically started after installation, ...

The POVWIN program itself will auto-load the release notes and change
log when it is started for the first time after an install. I could
add a run checkbox I guess.

> Finally, note there is a BgImage Plugin included with the
> standard NSIS distribution. If the final version has some sort
> of official raytraced image to show off the release, it could
> easily be added as a fullscreen background to the installer.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look.

-- Chris