POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Feb 2012 04:25:15
Message: <4f3390fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/02/2012 03:35 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 2/8/2012 6:08, Invisible wrote:
>> Yes, but given that 8 Mbit/sec is the maximum speed that current ADSL
>> standard allow, we can take it as read that nobody is going faster
>> than that.
>
> It depends entirely over the distance you are from the head end.

No, it does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_T1.413_Issue_2

"The maximum achievable downstream data rate is 8.128 Mbit/s."

If you're too far from the exchange, you will get less than 8 Mb, but
you will never get /more/ than 8 Mb. That's like saying that if you
connect a USB 1.0 device with a short enough cable, you can make it go
faster than 12 Mb. Erm, no, no you cannot, because the USB 1.0 standard
specifies a maximum data rate of 12 Mb.

So, like I said, unless you're using something other than ADSL, you
cannot go faster than 8 Mbit/sec.

>> (At least, for SD video. Apparently BRD has a transfer rate of 36
>> Mbit/sec, so it looks like HD video still wouldn't work.)
>
> Have you tried watching an HD youtube video, out of curiosity?

I think I've tried flicking the quality switches at some point. From
what I recall, turning the quality up makes playback a bit less
reliable, and the picture quality a bit less awful. But it's certainly
not as good as SD TV picture quality.

(Or rather, certain SD channels. I've noticed that some digital TV
channels are also fairly heavily compressed...)