POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 8 Feb 2012 08:25:40
Message: <4f3277d4@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-02-07 09:06, Invisible a écrit :
>>> Consider, for example, that it took me 3 days to download Star Wreck,
>>> which is only about an hour long. OK, that was only using a 2 Mbit
>>> connection, but I don't suppose you can download almost 4GB of data over
>>> an 8 Mbit connection in one hour flat either.
>>
>> Bad example. Assuming you downloaded it via bit-torrent from other
>> users, you were constrained by their very limited upload speeds.
>
> Except that you're downloading it from dozens of clients at once, should
> should counteract that problem.

Not always.

>>> Yes, the picture looks fine. I still don't understand how that can be
>>> possible though. The Internet isn't fast enough. I don't see how you can
>>> get the data from A to B fast enough for realtime playback.
>>
>> Which part of the Internet isn't fast enough?
>
> The last mile, as always.

Which varies a lot from place to place.  First, because your DSL speed
will be affected by the distance or the CO from your house, and by the
quality of the wires.  On top of that, different carriers have different
services.  For example, on top of various DSL packages, my telephone
company offers fibre connections at 7, 10, 16 or 25 Mbps.  My Cable
provider offers comparable packages as well.

>> Is HD tv available in the UK, from cable tv providers? Stop and think
>> for a few nanoseconds how that signal is delivered to your cablebox.
>> Netflix and co. are the same thing, except the source server is just a
>> few 10Gbps hops further away on the Internet backbone.
>
> I have no idea what "cable" is. I do know you can receive HD TV with an
> aerial; presumably this uses higher bandwidth than a normal Internet
> connection.

Presumably?  Again.  After having been shown 4759483758975 times in this
thread alone that your assumptions were wrong, you still persevere!!!

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_television