POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:28:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Feb 2012 21:48:04
Message: <4f2b4ae4$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/2/2012 7:05, Invisible wrote:
> £3,000 for a new tape drive is actually /a crapload of money/. It
probably

When I first started at Bellcore, I joined during the budgeting time of
year. My manager asked "Do you foresee needing any equipment for your wor
k?"
I said "Well, I'll need a desktop computer of course." He says "No, I mea
equipment. Anything over $50K? If so, we need to budget it." :-)

That said, google does everything with such redundancy that it's not a
question of spending $3K to buy a tape drive, but a question of how many
$3K
tape drives you need to buy to back up 3 petabytes/day of data[*] and how

long are those drives going to last before you need to replace them,
factoring the salaries of the guys doing the fixing and the writing of th
code to allocate tapes to data.  ([*] All numbers ass-pulled, mind.)

> How is that even *possible*? It's not like you can just go to the hardw
are
> store and buy 25km of copper wire and then put it into the ground with
> shovel on your day off or something...

That's exactly what the companies that do this for a living do.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)