POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fitness : Fitness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:57 EDT (-0400)
  Fitness
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Feb 2012 06:14:03
Message: <4f2a6ffb$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so I have a problem. The obvious way to solve this problem is to ask
the Internet, and then act on whatever advice the random strangers there
offer me. :-)

My problem is simple: I spend almost every waking hour sitting perfectly
motionless in front of a computer screen. Except that once a week, I
spend a hour leaping around a dance floor like a crazy thing. And you
know what? It turns out that I do not have the necessary stamina.
Socking, I know.

So my question is: How do I increase my stamina?

Let's leave aside the obvious answer of "quit my job and spend every
waking hour running around a race track until my legs drop off". Clearly
that isn't happening.

Given that my job necessarily involves remaining absolutely motionless
for hours on end, and that I only have an hour or two of spare time per
day, is there *anything* I can do with that time which will make the
slightest shred of difference? Or is the situation just hopeless?

People say to me "oh, with all that dancing, you must be really fit". I
cannot help but think that a piffling one hour out of every 168 isn't
going to make any difference at all. It's like pouring a litre of fresh
water into the ocean and expecting it to be less salty afterwards. How
many hours a day do you need to work to actually achieve something?

Now, "fitness" can mean many things. So let us be clear here. It's not
that I don't have enough /strength/ and I need to grow bigger muscles.
(As an aside, it seems I have some pretty damned impressive shoulder
muscles now... Well, for a skinny computer nerd, anyway.) I'm interested
in /stamina/. So, what kind of exercise am I looking for?

The answer, presumably, is "anything that makes you feel tired". So how
do I approach this?

- Go flat out until you collapse. Rest until tomorrow.

- Go gently, but for as long as possible.

- Go until you're tired. Stop. Rest until you're not tired. Go again.
Repeat.

- Go as hard as you can without needing to actually stop.

- Something else?

Any other suggestions?