POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 31 Jan 2012 14:52:37
Message: <4f284685$1@news.povray.org>
On 31/01/2012 13:36, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2012-01-31 04:12, Invisible a écrit :
>>
>> I'm saying that if (for example) I read somewhere that a lot of
>> companies use Citrix to host their applications, that doesn't really
>> qualify me for a job managing Citrix. If I had actually /used/ Citrix,
>> or something vaguely like it, then yes. But having read about how it
>> exists and people use it? Not so much, no.
>>

> It would allow you to have a better understanding of how that business
> operates. Having a general idea of how entrerpise apps like SAP, BEA
> Weblogic, or Websphere work is never a bad thing

Sure. But (for example) I gather that some people use SAN technology. I
cannot for the life of me begin to imagine why you would accept such a
massive performance hit in exchange for the mere ability to plug and
unplug disks virtually rather than physically. But apparently everybody
is doing it, for reasons unknown.

So in this instance, I know what the world is doing, but I still have
absolutely no insight at all. It hasn't helped.

>>> Google it. If that doesn't work, try "Really Simple Syndication". It's
>>> only all over the web.
>>
>> As usual with Wikipedia, the page babbles about updates and feeds and
>> XML and "syndication" and something about RDF, but utterly fails to
>> explain WHAT IT IS.
>
> This is similar to what news organizations do with newsfeeds from
> Reuters, AP, AFP, etcept it's for the common mortal. It's a standardized
> way to package news items (or in many cases, blog entries). It allows
> you to view content that comes from other sources. Some people use that
> to put "in the news..." sections on their websites, some others use RSS
> readers to gather news flashes and what nots from multiple sources they
> find interesting.

I'm still failing to see why this is in any way "useful". Unless you run
a news website, which I don't.