POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:16:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 31 Jan 2012 08:36:26
Message: <4f27ee5a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-01-31 04:12, Invisible a écrit :

> I'm saying that if (for example) I read somewhere that a lot of
> companies use Citrix to host their applications, that doesn't really
> qualify me for a job managing Citrix. If I had actually /used/ Citrix,
> or something vaguely like it, then yes. But having read about how it
> exists and people use it? Not so much, no.

It would allow you to have a better understanding of how that business
operates.  Having a general idea of how entrerpise apps like SAP, BEA
Weblogic, or Websphere work is never a bad thing.  While no one would
hopefully expect you to be able to manage their Citrix server farms
based on having read something about it on CNET, it would probably be
easier for you to understand where your job fits in the grander scheme
of things, or helkp you move up the corporate ladder.

For example, my current job is network performance & capacity planning.
  I gather usage statistics from Cisco devices, and make nice graphs
with them.  However, knowing a little about the applications running on
the servers connected to these switch ports allows me to be more helpful
when a problem ticket comes in saying "Users say that app XYZ is slow"
instead of having to wait for someone else to ask me to look for errors
on port 15 of switch C.

>>> OK, I have to ask: What the hell is this "RSS" everybody keeps
>>> mentioning?
>>
>> Google it. If that doesn't work, try "Really Simple Syndication". It's
>> only all over the web.
>
> As usual with Wikipedia, the page babbles about updates and feeds and
> XML and "syndication" and something about RDF, but utterly fails to
> explain WHAT IT IS.

This is similar to what news organizations do with newsfeeds from
Reuters, AP, AFP, etcept it's for the common mortal.  It's a
standardized way to package news items (or in many cases, blog entries).
  It allows you to view content that comes from other sources.  Some
people use that to put "in the news..." sections on their websites, some
others use RSS readers to gather news flashes and what nots from
multiple sources they find interesting.

For example, If I had a website devoted to 3D graphics, I could set up
RSS feeds from various makers of 3D software (those, that have a feed,
of course!) and whenever they had news releases or announcements, they
would automagically show up on my web site, without me having to hunt
for them.