POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : beginner first attempt at creating an industrial landscape scene : Re: beginner first attempt at creating an industrial landscape scene Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beginner first attempt at creating an industrial landscape scene
From: clipka
Date: 29 Jan 2012 19:57:49
Message: <4f25eb0d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.01.2012 05:10, schrieb Alain:

>> Hello, in fact it's my first "real" scene. but i am not satisfied with
>> it.
>> I have a lot to correct :
>>
>> -realistic scales (real life sizes for objects)
> It makes things esier to work with, but is not needed. Just keep a
> concistent scalling.
>> -gamma
> Should be set to 1

To prevent confusion:
- assumed_gamma scene setting should be set to 1.
- Display_Gamma ini file setting should match your display's gamma (2.2
is a good solid guess; if using POV-Ray 3.7, you should be fine without
explicitly specifying this setting).
- File_Gamma ini file setting should be left alone (in POV-Ray 3.6 it
doesn't exist, while in POV-Ray 3.7 the default is usually the best choice).

I actually do like the colors. While they're unrealistic (and even
though in my renders I usually strive for photorealism), it gives the
image some surrealistic touch.

>> -focal blur (but since the field is wide i dont know if it is necessary
> For that kind of view, minimal to no focal blur. All distances are very
> large relative to the aperture.

Rule of thumb: If using focal blur, set aperture size to whatever
POV-Ray units would match a size of somewhere around 1 cm (somewhere
between the size of a human's pupil and the apparent size of a camera's
aperture as seen through the lens). Significantly higher values will
make your scene look like a miniature.