POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livecoding in Haskell : Re: Livecoding in Haskell Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livecoding in Haskell
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Jan 2012 01:04:51
Message: <4f239003$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/27/2012 4:41, nemesis wrote:
> Fighting the IDE is not a good idea.  It's only inserting stupid shit because
> your stupid shit language demands it.

No. I mean I have something like

    mystream.write(myobject);

and I want to call mymethod in the middle, to get

    mystream.write(mymethod(myobject, 3));

and what I get is

    mystream.write(mymethod(object_to_methodize, method_counter)myobject);

because Eclipse figures that rather than giving you drop-down pop-up boxes
like Visual Studio, it'll actually insert the crap into your input stream,
forcing you to delete it instead. Then it'll take over your arrow keys and
enter key, so if you actually do delete the inserted parameter name and try
to cursor to the end of the line, it'll randomly stick you somewhere inside
the expression, depending on how far the parser has gotten.

> you'd rather just use a simpler language and straight text editor...

I'd definitely rather use a language with more power and less boilerplate,
but that's not the problem here. The problem is that Eclipse (until I
figured out how to turn that off, except for the buggy bits, that is) would
inject what it thought you wanted into the text, rather than offer
suggestions. Now, having switched all that crap off, it just randomly
inserts parens after function calls.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)