POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Jan 2012 20:41:00
Message: <4f23522c$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/27/2012 2:43 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_media
>
> I know what streaming *is*. (Indeed, I knew what it was 15 years ago.)
> I'm failing to comprehend how it applies in this situation.

Its mostly taking the existing "streaming" technology, as understood on
the net, and installing it in other devices, like DVRs, not to mention
digital TVs. The reason this is possible is, of course, because its now
broadcast digital, so uses the same streamable compression systems
(though, in many cases, encrypted). It should be noted however that
MP2/MP4, etc. was actually created to digitally store TV, and the like,
in the first place, for "streaming" between the original source company,
satellites, and base stations (which is to say, either your own dish, or
your cable provider). The primary change has been that they no longer
down-convert to analog. In principle, the same "data" as Youtube sends,
or you get off your DVD, is being used to broadcast your TV programs
now. Its just the encryption, and other key things, used to prevent the
wrong people getting it, which changes at each point in the chain.

So, *everything* is not "streamed". And, its the reason why, if you have
a DVR (no idea if you can do it with TVs), you can have "on demand"
programming. Instead of just linking in to the stream that is already
running, like you might do using say WinAmp and online radio, you are
"requesting" the program to start sending to you, at the specific time
you need it, just like you "request" Youtube start playing a movie from
their site.