POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livecoding in Haskell : Re: Livecoding in Haskell Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livecoding in Haskell
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Jan 2012 16:29:48
Message: <4f23174c$1@news.povray.org>
>> Heh, and I thought Eclipse was supposed to be the best IDE ever. :-P
>>
>> But yeah, that sounds more or less like every IDE I've ever used... I
>> guess that's why I don't use an IDE very often? (Apart from the extreme
>> cost. And the lack of support for the formats I want to work with...)
>
> Fighting the IDE is not a good idea.  It's only inserting stupid shit because
> your stupid shit language demands it.  That and "best enterprise practices".  If
> you waste time and energy removing boilerplate that is the very goal of an IDE,
> you'd rather just use a simpler language and straight text editor... of course,
> if there's no bossy whip behind you...

I think you just said "if you need an IDE, your language sucks". ;-)

That said, my development environment tends to consist of having an
editor window open, and a command prompt open, and repeatedly jabbing
the up array until the command I want appears. It would be nice if
somebody could invent the simple idea of being able to define the
commands a want in a small text file, and give me a row of buttons (or
better yet, keyboard shortcuts) to execute those commands...

...oh, wait. Somebody already did. It's called Emacs. >_<