POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : conserve_energy and fade_color bug : Re: conserve_energy and fade_color bug Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: conserve_energy and fade_color bug
From: Ive
Date: 26 Jan 2012 20:05:27
Message: <4f21f857$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.01.2012 21:52, schrieb Florian Siegmund:
> Excuse me for the missing explanation here, but I posted something in the bug
> reports group. Ior is 1.41 in both images (I'm not a complete fool though :) ),
> but the thing that disturbs me is that conserve_energy does not seem to work
> correctly in combination with fade_color. Is this a known issue or has nobody
> tried it before? Or is there probably a workaround or something else to achieve
> the desired effect?

Well, it would have been helpful to *see* your full material statement
but anyway for dielectrics like glass something like this has always
worked for me:

#macro Dielectric (COLOR, IOR, TRANSLUCENCY)
   material {
     texture {
       pigment {rgb COLOR filter 1}
       finish {
         ambient 0  diffuse 0
         reflection {0,1 fresnel on} conserve_energy
       }
     }
     interior {
       ior IOR
       fade_power 1001
       fade_distance TRANSLUCENCY
       fade_color rgb <pow(COLOR.red,3),
		      pow(COLOR.green,3),
		      pow(COLOR.blue,3)>
     }
   }
#end

note that this "fade_power 1001" statement is an old (and really dirty
as it lacks any logic) hack that is part of POV-Ray since ages to turn
realistic fade power calculation on.
The value for TRANSLUCENCY depends on your general scene scale and just
to mention it: make sure your max_trace_level is high enough for all the
internal bounces.

-Ive