POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I give up rendering... : Re: I give up rendering... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I give up rendering...
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2012 09:07:13
Message: <4f215e11$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/01/2012 01:46 PM, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>> He he :), well not quite mainstream, I have seen some specialized GPUs
>> doing it real-time in some website but they are not sold as
>> ATI/Nvidia... yet... :)
> I meant like POV-Ray does it, with current excellent quality features :)

Au contrare... Ever heard of displacement mapping? This is nothing other
than running a (simplistic) ray tracer as a pixel shader. Physically
correct dynamic reflections are already possible via ray tracing
(although you're still tracing stupid flat polygons rather than true
geometry). There have been tech demos of full ray tracers running on
standard GPU hardware.

Thing is, ray tracing sometimes doesn't automatically make it look cool.
If your model is a low-polygon mesh using low-resolution bitmap
textures, it'll look crappy no matter what rendering technology you use.
Even if you import a game map into POV-Ray, it'll still look lame,
despite the superior rendering.