POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livecoding in Haskell : Re: Livecoding in Haskell Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livecoding in Haskell
From: nemesis
Date: 26 Jan 2012 08:30:57
Message: <4f215591$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> On 25/01/2012 03:59 PM, nemesis wrote:
>
>> bah, these Haskell guys are always late and derivative in the ideas
>
> That's like saying that every 20th century novelist is "late and
> derivative in the ideas" because there were writers in the 19th century
> also. :-P

well, and they largely are.

Like, after watching the latest Sherlock Holmes movie I noticed how the
character has come a full circle:  its popularity spawned many imitators
  in cheap magazines and it eventually led to cheap, pulp fiction, which
eventually led to super hero comic books which eventually led to Batman,
"the greatest detective of all time", according to DC Comics.  And
indeed, there is Batman on the screen, except for no cape or batbelt
(actually, in the first movie, he carries some belt full of tools).

>> perhaps they've spent too much time in compiling and getting the types
>> right? ;)
>
> That's like saying "perhaps the Lisp guys spent too much time in getting
> the brackets right?"

but they spend none at all, given the text editors do that for them, and
much to their advantage BTW. You can see that in the video of the Lisp
guy livecoding and extracting, editing and rearranging large chuncks of
code easily, because they are bracketed and the editor handles any of
that in a breeze. ;)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9