POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jan 2012 04:33:17
Message: <4f211ddd@news.povray.org>
>>> When's the last time you looked at a map, young'un?
>>
>> Of the Middle East? Never.
>
> Maybe that's part of the reason why you have little sense of how the
> world actually is.  Just a thought.

Forget Iraq - I don't even know where Cumbria is. And *that* is
something I might plausibly need to actually know at some point. :-P

>> I'm the guy who thought that Brazil was in Europe, remember? Geography
>> was never my strong point. (Or history, actually.)
>
> That's correctable, but you have to correct it.  Both of these things are
> quite important.

Notice how this sentence is in the past tense? :-P

>>> Because you're in technology and keeping up on technology trends is
>>> important to furthering a career in technology
>>
>> Really? In what sense?
>
> If you don't know what technology is out there, how do you expect to know
> when a proposed solution is good or not?

By researching it, obviously.

I'm not saying it's unnecessary to know anything about technology. I'm
saying it seems unnecessary to know about technology we're not actually
using. (Whether it would help my job prospects is another matter... but
you have to find jobs to apply for first.)

>>> and those are two places
>>> where LOTS of news about technology are posted or linked from?
>>
>> Well, that's news to me.
>
> <boggle>

I got the impression that Slashdot was more a forum for idle gossip and
bored people starting flamewars. I wasn't aware any useful information
existed there.

I also got the impression that The Register was a satire site. Hell, it
even subtitles itself "biting the hand that feeds IT". I'm not making
this up. The few times I've read it, it was amusing, but contained no
real-world data.

>> PS. What is Netflix? And does it only operate in America?
>
> It's a streaming movie service, and if you'd been reading Slashdot or The
> Register, you'd know they've just started operating in Europe as well. :)

I still don't comprehend what "streaming" actually means in this context...