POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jan 2012 18:59:19
Message: <4f209757$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/25/2012 6:44 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2012-01-25 04:57, Invisible a écrit :
>

>> Also: WTF is this "tea party" I keep hearing about?
>>

> In the late 1700s, the British colonies in America were getting fed up
> of the King of England raising taxes without letting them have a voice
> in Parliament, so they decided to rebel against the King and declare
> their independence.
>
> One of the first incident of the American revolution was the "Boston Tea
> Party" where tea growers decided to punish the king by dumping all the
> tea bound for England into the harbor. There! Neener! Neener! No you
> can't have tea. Not yours!
>
> Flash forward 240 years.
>
> Groups of people angry about the rising taxes on the working class and
> the runaway government deficit decided to form a protest movement called
> "Taxed Enough Already" or T.E.A. for short. Thus were formed the modern
> day Tea Parties.
>
> Nevermind the fact that taxes on the working class had been going down
> for a few years, that these people were mysteriously very silent while
> the previous president was spending money he didn't have playing war
> games all over the world and that these people - who were for the most
> part very angry at having an uppity negro in the White House - were
> being lied to by millionaires and talk show hosts who were trying to get
> the government to ease restrictions on their investments.

Well, you got it partly right. The initial party was what the Occupy
movement replaced. All the other stuff you mention was what it got
hijacked into, by right wing conservatives, and clueless, people, like
Palin, Macheal Backman, and others, who had no damn clue about anything,
other than that: lots of angry people, with confused ideas = opportunity
to derail the new movement, and distort the facts to support what became
the exact opposites (i.e., high taxes for the people out protesting, and
lower ones for rich people, as just one example).