POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Invisible
Date: 25 Jan 2012 05:03:26
Message: <4f1fd36e@news.povray.org>
>>> It seems that that probably doesn't have a lot to do with reality.
>>> There were a couple of Star Wars games that came out as well, yet the
>>> Empire is still a work of fiction.
>>
>> Well, sure. But I suspect before all this happened, most people had
>> never even *heard* of Iraq.
>
> Except for everyone who remembers the first Iraq war (back in the 90s),
> or everyone who heard of Saddam Hussein, or everyone who took the
> slightest interest in where oil in the US came from.

Seriously? You get oil from Iraq? The entire country appears to be a
barren desert wilderness; where is the complex infrastructure necessary
for oil extraction?

>>> Um, no, they're not.  Are you serious?
>>
>> Oh. Crap...
>
> When's the last time you looked at a map, young'un?

Of the Middle East? Never.

I'm the guy who thought that Brazil was in Europe, remember? Geography
was never my strong point. (Or history, actually.)

>>> Do you read slashdot?  The Register?
>>
>> Nope, never. Why would I?
>
> Because you're in technology and keeping up on technology trends is
> important to furthering a career in technology

Really? In what sense?

> and those are two places
> where LOTS of news about technology are posted or linked from?

Well, that's news to me.

>>> Actually, not YouTube, but Netflix; it's streaming has been claimed to
>>> take more bandwidth than illegal downloads.
>>
>> Maybe in the US. In Britain, it seems to be YouTube and iPlayer that
>> everyone was whining about.
>
> iPlayer I could see.  YouTube?  I haven't heard that, but I could see
> that it does take up a fair bit of bandwidth.  There was a report
> yesterday that they've exceeded an hour of video uploaded *per second* of
> actual video runtime.

An hour of *uploaded* video per second of video runtime? Wow.

PS. What is Netflix? And does it only operate in America?