POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In Crysis : Re: In Crysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In Crysis
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jan 2012 11:53:13
Message: <4f1ee1f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/01/2012 04:49 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> While playing through Core, I tried to shoot one of the enemies, and the
>> screen turned bright green and my headphones nearly blasted my hears off
>> with a loud buzzing tone. I had to reboot the PC to get it to respond
>> again. Putting the pain back into crashing, eh?
>
>> Best of all, when I loaded up the game again, all of the game saves from
>> the last two hours were gone.
>
>    That's the downside of PC gaming. No such problems on the consoles.
> (Ok, there are similar problems with console games as well, but they
> are way, way more rare. Perhaps in 1% of all games, while the same figure
> on the PC side is more like 50%.)

On one hand, all Xbox 360s are identical, which makes testing a software
product vastly easier.

On the other hand, if an Xbox breaks, the manufacturer can charge you
arbitrary amounts of money to fix it. If a PC breaks, you can just
replace the offending part, available from a bazillion sources. ;-)

I should point out that this experience of a game crashing like that is
unusual enough that I mention it on the Internet. I don't think I have
/ever/ seen Quake crash. Nor HalfLife. Nor CSS. (Although... there /was/
that time my graphics card broke, and I had random polygons everywhere
and psychedelic colours... man, that was trippy!)