POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jan 2012 11:49:57
Message: <4f1ee135$1@news.povray.org>
>>> You do know that the US pulled out of Iraq, yes?
>>
>> I've heard multiple rounds of "We're pulling out. Oh, wait, we're
>> pulling out in 6 month's time. No, we're pulling out next month. Oh,
>> actually, make that 2 years. Actually, wait, make it a month. No, hang
>> on..." It's news to me that they *actually* did it at last.
>
> There was an agreed-upon timeline with the Iraqi government for the
> pullout to be completed by December 31, 2011.  They met that timeline.

I heard so many conflicting reports about what they were or weren't
going to do, I stopped paying attention.

>>> Or were you unaware that the US (and the UK) were at war in Iraq?
>>
>> Hehehe, is *that* why every FPS made in the last 10 years happens in the
>> Middle East with Iraqis as the enemy? :-P
>
> It seems that that probably doesn't have a lot to do with reality.  There
> were a couple of Star Wars games that came out as well, yet the Empire is
> still a work of fiction.

Well, sure. But I suspect before all this happened, most people had
never even *heard* of Iraq.

>> Wait - Afghanistan and Iraq aren't the same place? o_O
>
> Um, no, they're not.  Are you serious?

Oh. Crap...

>>> I've found it kinda hard to avoid news about that.  I'm wondering how
>>> you managed it without even trying.
>>
>> I've heard a lot of talk about "illegal downloads". I haven't heard
>> anybody mention TPB.
>
> Do you read slashdot?  The Register?

Nope, never. Why would I?

>> (That and the talk of ISPs charging YouTube money because they're "using
>> up all the bandwidth". Translation: "our profit model depends on
>> customers using only a fraction of the bandwidth that they pay us for,
>> and now people are using /all/ of what they rightfully paid for,
>> waaaaa!")
>
> Actually, not YouTube, but Netflix; it's streaming has been claimed to
> take more bandwidth than illegal downloads.

Maybe in the US. In Britain, it seems to be YouTube and iPlayer that
everyone was whining about.