POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In Crysis : Re: In Crysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In Crysis
From: Invisible
Date: 24 Jan 2012 08:42:22
Message: <4f1eb53e$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/01/2012 01:39 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> Usually this indicates the system paging data back in from disk. Except
>> that this is impossible. My PC has an insane EIGHT GIGABYTES OF RAM!
>> (Yes, I know it's excessive, but it was surprisingly cheap.) The entire
>> game is only 6GB. I don't even *need* a harddrive; THE ENTIRE GAME FITS
>> IN RAM! Even though it's Crysis! Amazing, but true. So... WTF is pausing
>> it?!
>
> Win32 apps can only use 2GB of memory (three with OS tweaking). Having
> 8GB only means it shouldn't swap the game out to run an OS function
> because something triggered an interupt.

I'm actually running a 64-bit edition of Windows. However, I would
assume that Crysis is a 32-bit application, so I guess your assessment
stands.

> If the game pauses, I guess it's reading a new map chunk, and the OS
> told to wait because it was busy updating its file cache, or Java quick
> start decided it was time to reload all its stuff, or the anti-virus
> phoned home to see if there was a new signature file, or something like
> that...

...except that so far I've only installed Windows and Crysis. I haven't
installed Java or Acrobat Reader or anything else which might attempt to
update itself.