POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In Crysis : Re: In Crysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In Crysis
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 24 Jan 2012 08:39:13
Message: <4f1eb481$1@news.povray.org>

> Usually this indicates the system paging data back in from disk. Except
> that this is impossible. My PC has an insane EIGHT GIGABYTES OF RAM!
> (Yes, I know it's excessive, but it was surprisingly cheap.) The entire
> game is only 6GB. I don't even *need* a harddrive; THE ENTIRE GAME FITS
> IN RAM! Even though it's Crysis! Amazing, but true. So... WTF is pausing
> it?!

Win32 apps can only use 2GB of memory (three with OS tweaking).  Having
8GB only means it shouldn't swap the game out to run an OS function
because something triggered an interupt.

If the game pauses, I guess it's reading a new map chunk, and the OS
told to wait because it was busy updating its file cache, or Java quick
start decided it was time to reload all its stuff, or the anti-virus
phoned home to see if there was a new signature file, or something like
that...